Loop Pile and Cut Pile Carpet Care
Loop pile carpets made of individual strands of yarn pulled through the carpet backing twice, creating a small loop. Loops can either be all the same height (level loop pile) or two to three different measurements (multi-level or modulated loop pile) that creates a pattern. Carpets with low-level loop pile are best suited to high-traffic areas and are comparatively easy to maintain. The multi-level loop gives a more textured appearance and is becoming increasingly popular.
Loop pile tends to give a more casual look and is less susceptible to footprint marks and shading (the appearance of irregular light and dark areas) than cut-pile carpets.
Popular loop styles
- The Berber carpets, which have thick yarns, are tufted into chunky loop tufts, usually in earthy tones with a ‘flecked’ appearance – excellent for hiding stains.
- Sisal-style/cord carpets have tighter loops than Berbers, creating a stiffer feel. The loop lines can be either all the same height or alternating heights. These carpets are suitable for high-traffic areas.
Cut Pile Carpet
In cut pile carpets, loops are cut at the top, leaving tufts of yarn standing straight up. Cut pile has a more luxurious, formal look compared to the loop pile.
Popular cut styles include:
- Velvet/ Plush carpets, which are smooth, soft and elegant. These loops cut several times, creating a velvety sheen. However, this also shows every footprint, so it is the best in a formal area.
- Saxony carpets are similar to velvet but not relatively as smooth.
- Twist carpets have tightly twisted fibres that curl slightly at the pile surface. They hide footprints and vacuum marks, making them suitable for high-traffic areas.
Combination of Cut and Loop Pile
These carpets have a combination of cut and looped yarns and can create sculptured effects such as squares, swirls and so on.
This effect is good for hiding dirt and footprints.
10 Reasons Why You Should Choose Auckland Steam ‘n’ Dry
1. Largest Auckland Carpet Cleaning Company. Sixteen cleaners in West Auckland, East, South Auckland North Shore, Hibiscus Coast.
2. Best Equipment, Powerful Truckmount Carpet Cleaning: We use a petrol-powered truck mount machine powerful and effective.
3. Deep Clean: Our carpet and upholstery cleaning methods clean deep into the pile and fabric, not just buffing the surface.
4. Kills Allergens and Bacteria: Our high-powered steam extraction process kills germs, bacteria, and dust mites, removing them from your home.
5. Good Value Cheap Pricing: No hidden costs, no sales gimmicks, and no hard sell. All quoted prices up-front, and we do not differentiate between a “normal” or “special” cleaning process.
6. Fast Drying: Because we use high-powered state-of-the-art machines, we immediately extract 95% of the moisture from your carpets, leaving them bone dry within a couple of hours.
7. Local and National Award Winners: we’ve also been voted best on online review sites
8. Reviews: As part of our awards applications, all the reviews for our work are checked independently and verified.
9. Expert Stain Removal. If your carpet damaged by stains and cannot be removed (such as bleach), we’re often able to re-colour the rug, leaving absolutely no trace behind.
10. Odour Removal. Our cleaners kill and remove many odours causing contaminated found in carpet and upholstery
Contact Us ☎
Call the professionals at Steam ‘n’ Dry Auckland Carpet Cleaners Over three decades, located in West Auckland, East, South Auckland North Shore, Hibiscus Coast.
BY GRAEME STEPHENS. PUBLISHED 17/12/2014. UPDATED 04/05/2021