The Best Way To Clean Your Carpet
You don’t have to rent or buy a machine to clean your carpet and eliminate stubborn stains. If your house has carpet and you have kids or pets, you need to know how to clean a rug.
If you have a spill to clean up, you can deep clean your carpet without a machine. It’s better if you have a vacuum, you can get the job done.
Hot water extraction or “steam” cleaning is the most popular for DIY residential use. Successful cleaning by these machines is mainly dependent on the experience of the operator. Improper application can leave the carpet overly wet. Causing possible decontamination like:
- It will develop an odour from mould, mildew and fungi.
- That the Browning, colour run and shrinkage.
- Other related problems.
It can happen especially in areas of repeated, high volume use or “traffic lanes”. One or two passes of the cleaning may not be enough to enhance such areas’ appearance. Attempts to clean them over and over again can cause over wetting and its related problems.
The obvious conclusion is that DIY methods are not substitutes for professional carpet cleaning services like Auckland Carpets Steam & Dry.
DIY Carpet Cleaning Methods
- Suppose the spot is wet, blot. Indeed, do not rub. Rubbing will spread the soil.
- If the spot is dry, loosen the soil and vacuum away before moistening it.
- Always rinse the cleaned area thoroughly. If not removed, cleaning products may indeed cause the cleaned area to attract soil.
- When taking out stains, always use a white cloth.
- Clean spots and stains immediately. You will have a much better chance of removing them.
- When using any cleaner, Auckland Carpets Steam & Dry dilute according to the direction. A mixture that is too potent may cause damage.
- You cannot remove every stain. Consult your Carpet Cleaning professional for cleaning options.
- Always test surfaces before cleaning. Apply the cleaning solution to a hidden area of the same material. After five minutes, if the material’s colour transfers to a towel. Then try another product.
- Carpet shampoo is good to have on hand and is available at most hardware stores.
- A mild mineral spirit solution is useful for many household cleaning applications.
- For wax dropped on carpet or upholstery, set a clean, absorbent cloth over the wax stain. After that hold, hot iron on it, lift the fabric away, and the wax should remove with the material.
Tips on How To Remove Stains
- Firstly scrape off any solids. Blot up liquids quickly, dabbing lightly with a clean white towel or paper towel.
- To remove greasy stains, apply a nonflammable dry-cleaning agent to the spot with a white towel—work from the edges toward the centre. However, don’t scrub. Dab gently until the spot comes clean. Always pretest any cleaning agent on a hidden part of the carpet and let it dry before continuing.
- Coat less stubborn greasy stains with aerosol shaving cream or carbonated water. Use a hairdryer to speed dry. Then vacuum.
- Additionally, you can sprinkle a greasy stain with baking soda, cornstarch, cornmeal, or talcum powder. Leave on at least 6 hours, then vacuum.
- To remove water-soluble stains, apply some detergent solution working from the edges to the stain’s centre. Place several layers of white tissue or paper towels over the spot. Weight down with books or pots and pans.
- Furthermore, let stand for about one hour. Replace with fresh tissues or towels and leave overnight. Then fluff up the carpet pile with your fingers.
Contact Us ☎
Call the Experts Steam ‘n’ Dry Auckland Carpet Cleaning service. Over 33 years of servicing South Auckland, Central City CBD, North Shore, East, West Auckland, and Hibiscus Coast.
BY GRAEME STEPHENS. PUBLISHED 01/25/2021. UPDATED 09/03/2021.